WHY NOT FLUORIDATE
- Presumes to prevent cavities, without sound, valid research or scientific data to verify the claim. Proponents claim they are making science based decisions but no science is actually ever given, just assurances that they are available yet they are not available, and endorsements from organizations that do no basic, scientific research of their own.
Recent studies show that fluoridation reduces cavities ONLY when applied topically, that is to the surface of the teeth. More recent studies are now calling even that conclusion into question.
Unfounded scare tactics of unproven claims of increased tooth decay among children are used by dental and health officials if fluoridation is stopped or if it is not implemented, in order to prevent cessation or to implement fluoridation.
- Dental fluorosis, now exceeds 40% in North America, as seen in white, brown and even black spots and streaks on teeth, cracked, pitted and broken teeth weakened by fluorosis
- Causes skeletal fluorosis after prolonged (chronic) ingestion
- Joint pain and arthritic symptoms (bone fluorosis)
- Very narrow margin of safety between acceptable safety and toxic levels
- Impossible to control total amount (dose) of fluoride ingested with water
- Is an unapproved, untested drug
- Violates medical ethics of informed consent
- Violates pharmacological principle of oversight
- Fluoride is available from many sources
- Increased toxicity due to lead, arsenic and other contaminants in the fluoride used
- Fluoride leaches lead from old pipes and copper joint solder into the water supply – lead is highly toxic
- Interaction between fluoride and other chemicals already in the water may form toxic substances with unknown impact on human health
- Accumulates in bones, changing their crystal structure and weaking them
- Accumulates in the pineal gland, damaging its function
- Inactivates 62 enzymes, especially those needed for digestion and protein synthesis
- Increasing number of children with fluoride toxicity as shown by dental fluorosis – currently exceeding 40%
- Reduced IQ in children with dental fluorosis
- Increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease and dementia concurrent with fluoridation
- May be tied to birth defects such as Down Syndrome, spina bifida, others
- Causes hypo-thyroidism, increasing risk of thyroid disorders
- Adversely affects the immune system
- Increasing number of cancer cases concurrent with increase in fluoridation
- Increased incidence of osteosarcoma among teenage males
- Allergic and other adverse reactions to fluoride in 1- 2% of population tested
- Previous health studies were done at a time when environmental pollution was not a problem
- Linked to Celiac disease
- Linked to
- Linked to allergic reactions
- Risk of harming unborn children without the mother's knowledge in early gestation
- Indiscriminately doses everyone with a highly hazardous, toxic waste substance
- Forces ingestion onto those vulnerable to chemical sensitivities
- A factor in infertility in men and women
- Causes genetic (DNA) damage
- Causes cell death
- Causes or aggravates Tinnitus
- A major factor in causing Gout
Fluoride substances are deadly poisons. When swallowed in quantities in excess of 100 grams at one time, they will kill you. Fluoridation is forced medication without oversight by any doctor. Long term ingestion of very small quantities of fluoride substances will have a cumulative effect on your health and well being, even in concentrations as small as 0.1 mg per litre (0.1 ppm), yet most cities fluoridate at 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 (Ottawa) and even as high as 1.0 ppm.
The substance currently used to fluoridate our tap water is not a pharmaceutical grade of fluoride, but hydrofluorosilicic acid, a highly toxic waste product produced by the phosphate fertilizer and aluminum industries.
- Fluoride is a food chain and environmental pollutant. Less than 1% is swallowed by people; more than 99% ends up in the environment
- Very harmful effects done to aquatic plants and fish and micro organism on which fish feed
- Very harmful to farm and wildlife animals of all types
- Very harmful to crops and other plants in the environment
- Increased toxicity due to lead, arsenic, radionuclides and inorganic contaminants in the fluoride solution
- Nutritional awareness has improved
- Oral hygiene is greatly improved
- Steady cavity decline in both fluoridated and non fluoridated communities
- Environmental pollution is today's main threat to health
- Fluoride is now added to most toothpaste and mouth rinses
- Fluoride is part of most reconstituted and processed foods and beverages because they are prepared with fluoridated water
- Cost of fluoridating the water supply increases the need for raising taxes
- Ongoing overhead expenses of providing fluoridated water increases need for raising taxes
- Fluoride has been shown to corrode water pipes, raising taxes to replace damaged pipes
- Over 99% of the tax dollars spent on fluoridation is wasted due to the actual drinking of tap water being less than 1% of the total amount of water supplied
- Litigation costs will be enormous when the inevitable lawsuits begin to be filed
- Illness from ingestion of the toxic products increases the cost of health care and absenteeism
- Compulsory mass medication – municipalities and decision makers are open to class action suits due to illegality of providing illegal medication
- City Councillors are legally responsible for administering a fluoride substance as a drug because they are not doctors
- Fluoridation equipment and technology can be misused by terrorists
Original tabulation provided by Dr. Libuse Gilka, augmented by more evidence — 2011.06.24
All the above can be ascertained in legitimate publications and scientific research.
“A new study has found that the protective shield fluoride forms on teeth is up to 100 times thinner than previously believed. This raises questions about how this renowned cavity-fighter(!?) really works.” Science Daily December 18, 2010
Fluoride is a potent neurotoxin that's been fraudulently promoted as a cure for cavities for the past six decades. Finally, we are beginning to see the kind of research and activism needed to hopefully reverse this great injustice... “Fluoride is a neurotoxin.” Dr. Phyllis Mullenix, PhD, Pharmacologist and Toxicologist in a 1996 video interview
In a (2009) videotaped interview, Earl Baldwin, a member of the British House of Lords and one of the advisory board members for the York Review, the UK-sponsored review of fluoridation, explained why he thought fluoridation was a bad idea: “What physician do you know, who in his right mind, would treat someone he does not know and has never met, with a substance that's meant to do change in their bodies, with the advice: ‘Take as much, or as little, as you like, but take it for a lifetime because it may help someone's teeth’?”
“Dentists [and all medical professionals] have been denied the education necessary to make an informed opinion regarding fluoride and community water fluoridation. They simply do not know the truth. Altruistic in aim, misguided in direction, led by many of our nation's finest servants, the dental profession has been ambling down the wrong path. It is time to correct our direction from mass medication to mass education.
The miscalculation of opting for fluoridation over education has produced another horrible dividend. Many parents have taken their eyes off the important goal of limiting the sugar content of their children's meals, as well as junk food snacks and endless gallons of sweetened soft drinks consumed between meals.
The money that is currently misspent on fluoridation chemicals, fluoridating equipment, and the whole apparatus of fluoridation promotion would be better devoted to a joint educational effort to fight obesity and tooth decay.” (The Case Against Floride, Connett, Beck and Micklem, 2010, chapter 2, page 15, Chelsea Green Publishing, White River Junction, Vermont)
|Water is for everyone, fluoride is not
Join Canadians Opposed to Fluoridation COF-COF
and the Fluoride Action Network FAN
for the latest in news, events and science on fluoridation.