Since Monday, November 15, 1965, fluoride has been added to the public water system serving Ottawa, Nepean, Kanata, Orleans, Gloucester and nearby areas. The added fluoride is non-purified industrial waste from the phosphate fertilizer industry, called hydrofluorosilicic acid, contains lead, arsenic, radioactive particles and other contaminants.
• Increased incidence of: hip fracture, cancer, reduced IQ and other neurological impairments, dental fluorosis, hypothyroidism, and other harmful health effects have been linked to fluoride in the scientific literature.
• National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) data in the US and in Ontario , Quebec , Alberta and B.C. show no significant difference in decay rates of permanent teeth and dental costs in fluoridated and non fluoridated areas.
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2001 issued a report indicating that the benefit from fluoride on teeth is predominantly topical, e.g. toothpaste, fluoride treatments, not systemic or ingested.
• The American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Pediatrics Association have issued warnings in November 2006 and in December 2010 not to use fluoridated water in infant formula.
• Over 99% of the fluoridating substance is not being used for drinking purposes by residents served the City's public water system, a great waste of taxes, ending up in the environment where it was initially banned from being dumped.
• A considerable subset of this City's residents suffer from chemical sensitivities aggravated by fluoride.
• Since any fluoride substance being placed in the water supply to alleviate tooth decay is factually a drug, it is illegal for the City to use it without proper toxicological tests and without adequate medical oversight: both are lacking.
In light of the above, and other data, the undersigned registered voters of the area served by the Ottawa water system hereby petition to place the following question on the next available City Council agenda or official ballot, reading:
“Fluoride shall be discontinued in the public water system of the City of Ottawa.” Download the Word document HERE to print it.
For a petition to call for a moratorium on the fluoridation of the water supply, the alternate wording is:
“Council hereby declares an immediate moratorium on adding hydrofluorosilicic acid to the public water system of the City of Ottawa until factual, valid, verifiable, objective and legitimate proof of safety and effectiveness is presented to Council.” It is available HERE for download.
Website: Fluoridation-Free Ottawa – http://ffo-olf.org/